The Episcopal Methodist Church of Huntington Beach
— 1914-1967 —
From the humble beginnings of the “Tent City” campgrounds, the Methodist Episcopal Church grew and prospered in a small building at 6th and Orange Streets. A few years later, April 14, 1914, the cornerstone was laid for a handsome building at the corner of 11th and Orange Streets. W.T. Newland donated the stained glass window depicting Jesus as “The Way, the Truth, and the Life.” The pastor at that time was W.L. Miller.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church
— 1967-1972 —
In the late 1950’s under the leadership of Rev. E.R. Folder, a study of the population needs of the area was undertaken. A design was made to relocate to the present church site of three acres. The property was purchased in the early 1960’s by several members and donated for use by the Trustees. An architect was hired and two classroom buildings and the (now) Gisler Fellowship Hall (shown above) were built and occupied over what was once the location of several oil wells that still show on city maps. At the time of this construction, the Newland family arranged the funding to have the stained glass window moved from the east side of the Orange Avenue sanctuary to the north side of Gisler Hall. Under the leadership of Rev. E. Erny, the congregation became strong and stable at this new location.
The First United Methodist Church of Huntington Beach
— 1972-2011 —
In 1972, the congregation opted to leave the Episcopal Church and join The United Methodist Church with a renaming under California Corporate Law to become the First United Methodist Church of Huntington Beach. The current sanctuary was added in 1982 with the historic corner block from 1914 set outside the west entrance to the new sanctuary. The church remained committed to the UMC for over thirty years under the nickname “fumchub” which was an acronym for the
“First United Methodist Church of Huntington Beach.”
Surf City Church
— 2011-Present —
When the first issues of the current liberalism schism surfaced in the UMC, the church council began to distance itself from the UMC ‘brand’ in 2011. Subsequently, the council authorized a new sign with the name ‘Surf City Church’ and began operating as Surf City Church using a legal DBA.