Messy Church is an intergenerational experience for people who are looking for an interactive form of church. People of all ages and sizes are welcome whether you regularly attend church or have never stepped into a church before. At the monthly Messy Church gathering you will explore a biblical theme through hands-on creative activities, a short worship celebration of story, song and prayer and conclude at a table sharing a meal. It does not prioritize either the needs of children or adults but intentionally welcomes and provides for all ages.
The usual Messy Church experience includes relaxed welcome zone where people gather from their busy lives and reconnect with each other. Then activities for all-ages playing and working together begin to explore the theme of the bible story. A short interactive celebration time of story, song and prayer follows the activity time. Finally, the worship experience culminates in a meal together.
Rev. Greg Ross from Australia describes Messy Church in this way:
- it introduces people to the risen Christ
- by offering the unconditional hospitality of God
- in a way that has all ages sharing together in all parts of Messy Church
- and in ways that strive to engage people with creative opportunities and responses, and
- it celebrates the gift of the whole of life.
If you would like to become part of the group that plans and implements this type of worship, please contact Lee Selby in our church office.